Friday, August 26, 2005
I thought some of you might like to read this lecture of Ann Okerson, Associate University Librarian for Collection Development, at Yale. I like her theme that we can not act as if we are autonomous. Information is growing at an exponential rate--sure feels that way from where I sit. -- Dan
1 Comments:
Okerson's lecture is thought-provoking. I hadn't seen the statistic that "about 83 percent of all the books ever published appeared first after 1923." And half of them since 1977--no wonder my library's budget can't keep up!
Okerson seems to favor a division of labor in collection development; i.e., that libraries should specialize rather than duplicate other libraries' holdings. That approach runs up against one task of academic law libraries, which is to provide sources for law review cite-checking. The "tyranny of the available" plays out in scholarly writing, meaning that professors and students cite to the resources that are readily available to them. If I don't select what other big law libraries are buying, my library will come up short when journal staff members do their "source-finding." I worry about that.
Post a Comment
<< Home