Monday, October 10, 2005

Core code purchases and a schedule for same

Several years ago, Margaret Leary of Michigan asked me to advise her about how often to buy French codes. I replied that I would separate the five to six major codes for civil law countries into one level or tier, and all the other "codes" (really longer statutes in my view) into a second tier. The top tier could be candidates for loose-leaf versions with a bound version purchased every two to three years or upon major revision or amendment, whichever occurred first.
The second tier could go on a five year plan except for legal areas more intensely collected or emphasized at a particular institution, say, if comparative tax or insurance law is your law school's strength.
What do others do or believe one ought to do?
Marylin Raisch

1 Comments:

Blogger unstricken said...

This scheme makes sense, and we do treat the major codes better for CD purposes. As for France, I'm tempted to skip buying the lesser codes (or laws) now that they're so readily accessible on Legifrance. (Of course, that would mean we wouldn't have historical versions.)

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home