Friday, September 28, 2007

Trials, Journals, Cancellations: a week in the life of a selector

What a week. The balance of print and electronic never seemed more complex. We started with a list of serials up for renewal, and I cancelled several titles (or at least, I will find out early next week if they were active or lapsed and how much they really were versus my rough calculations; at that time I will share those specialized British titles with this FCIL blog). My hope was to reach around $4,000.00 in savings so I could purchase the Kluwer Litigation database, Legal :
http://business.cch.com/network which many libraries already have, no doubt. Fortunately the database proved much cheaper than was quoted months ago. Moral: always hold out until they get desperate.

Then we moved on to packages of Kluwer Law International e-journals and Cambridge University Press e-journals. The latter duplicate print in our collection completely; the former less so. I went only for the former. But all had merit.

Finally, to determine among so many Commonwealth and "world" trials. We are still debating, as we have Hein and have viewed the Gale MoML offer. But I enjoyed looking again at Famous Trials, the web site of Prof. Douglas O. Linder, http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/ftrials.htm and for my money (that is, none) I view trials of Socrates, Galileo, re the Mutiny on the Bounty, and more.
Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home